The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, December 16, 2023

February 23 - 26, 1988

Tuesday, February 23, 1988 Dorothea, Zack

 

Some sun in the morning. Clouded up in PM. It rained some. I done up the work, took care of the chicken and rest of my ham. I got ready to iron. Betty came and I left the ironing and she, Kim and I went over to Carmen’s. Betty took her to the doctors. She has bronchitis, very sick. So is Brogan. I hate to see them so sick. I came home, did the ironing. Betty got the lunch. Bill to the Dr., he is in good shape. Today Dorothea went to Augusta to take a test for the real estate course. Barbara took her up. I am so pleased Barbara has helped her so much. Thanks to Barbara. Zack to Portland at the Army recruiting office. He did not sign up.

 

 

 

Wednesday, February 24, 1988

 

A nice day, on the mild side. Barry came and put the bar up in the bathtub today. Betty and Kim over to Oxford looking at cars. Betty cleaned up the house and washed windows. Carmen and Brogan very sick with a cold. Dennis is with Carmen helping to take care of Brogan etc. Betty and I called at Betty Smith’s this evening.

 

 

 

Thursday, February 25, 1988

 

On the cold side. I done up the work, got a Swiss steak ready to cook for supper. Made a grapenut pudding. Kim came, she had a bite to eat. She and Betty over to Norway or Oxford to get a car for Kim. Also to trade Bill’s for a different one. Carmen and Brogan are better today. Lucas Street Company cut the limbs off our tree alongside the road. Zack got his truck back today. Billie called at David’s.

 

 

 

Friday, February 26, 1988 2 new cars. New cupboards and draws, Zack

 

 

Betty took Kim over to Oxford. She brought home her new car, Subaru 1982 black. It is very pretty and decorative etc. She is very pleased with it. Also Bill got a new one at the same place, a 1983 Chevrolet. It is in good looking condition. I hope it will last a long time. Also I hope Kim’s lasts a long time. Barry Richardson came and put the frame up cupboards and draws around the sink. I like it very much. They told Zack at work he didn’t have enough experience to do any more work there. I’m sorry. Also his truck has a broken gear or something. I’m sorry for him. I wish I could do something to help them.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment