The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, December 30, 2023

April 18 - 21, 1988

 

Monday, April 18, 1988

 

Some rain, cloudy and some sun. I did my wash. Carmen and Brogan came. Carmen cleaned the house and changed the beds. She got the lunches. She went and done the shopping. Brogan stayed here. She was very good today. Zack and Bill put rest of the birdhouses up. Betty didn’t get much done today. Brogan is down there this PM and tonight. Zack been busy all day. Frogs are peeping. I washed.

 

 

 

Tuesday, April 19, 1988

 

A very nice sunny day. I got up a dite earlier this morning. I did the work, a big ironing, watched soaps. I made a chocolate pudding. I got a piece of corned beef to cooking. I got a cabbage ready to cook with it. Betty and Carmen came. Zack came to help do the fencing. Billie went down and got his haircut. Then they got some nice fresh donuts at the bakery. All had donuts. Betty, Carmen, Brogan down to Betty’s then Billie and Zack fenced down in the woods.

 

 

 

Wednesday, April 20, 1988

 

A mostly cloudy day. I got my work done up early, got ready. When Carmen came we went to the tooth Dr. for her in South Portland. I babysat for Brogan. She was very good. On the tired side. We came back to North Windham. She got her glasses and also she got a haircut. Carmen is under a lot of strain all in all. Billie and Zack didn’t fence today. Billie’s foot is so bad.

 

 

 

Thursday, April 21, 1988

 

Sunny this morning. I helped Betty do her cupboards in the dining room. Also Betty Smith got all the cupboards and draws done. She also got her window seat done. I got home about three. Got supper, corned oyster and sausage. Billie and Zack been busy all day. Hauled the dressing and got Walt’s all out and some of his. Cold all day, windy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment