The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, June 14, 2022

September 7 - 10, 1982 First Day of School

 

Tuesday, September 7, 1982 FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL ZAK 7th    KIM JUNIOR

 

A beautiful day, on the coolish side. I done regular work. I did the ironing. Got a beef stew ready for supper and put topping on chocolate pie. Then Bill and I went over and got some apples, also Bill got a pie he liked the looks of. Then we drove up through Blackguard, came out over by the North Waterford Fairgrounds. Today school began for 1982 - 83. Zak entered seventh grade. Kim the Junior class. I went down to see them before they went. They look very nice.

 




 

 

 

 

Wednesday, September 8, 1982

 

A very nice day. Sunny and quite mild. Second day of school. I did a wash and regular work. Watched the soaps in PM. Kim called also Zak after school. Betty and Walt got their field beans in tonight. Bill in and out. Billie worked on the fence down in the woods on the fence. Dorothea and Betty called, we went down to Fern’s. She got all her papers done for future use.

 

 

 

Thursday, September 9, 1982 much warmer

 

To town today with Dorothea, Delores, Susan and I. I got home, done a few odd jobs. Then watched TV in PM. Billie worked down in the pasture again. Bill mowed the lawns. He got about bushed. Kim came up. Also Zak called.

 

 

 

Friday, September 10, 1982 very hot, PAID TAXES

 

A very hot and humid day. I made two pies. I done up regular work. David called this morning. Betty took me down and I paid the taxes. We got the bill today $726.07. Bill didn’t do much today. He is winded easily. Billie worked in the pasture again.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment