The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, June 21, 2022

October 2 - 5, 1982

 

Saturday, October 2, 1982 nice and sunny

 

At last a beautiful day, it was on the cool side. I done up the regular Saturday work. Kim called, she was so happy because she got a letter from Tyler yesterday. I’m glad for her. Zak up for breakfast and watched TV for a little while. Billie down to Fern’s and to town and he picked the rest of the Swiss chard greens.

 

Plans for a cemetery 'Over Yonder' begin


 

 

 

 

Sunday, October 3, 1982

 

A nice mostly sunny day. I got the breakfast ready. I didn’t get up until 7 AM. Kim came for breakfast. Then I done up the work. I worked at the desk. Billie and Zak hauled the picnic tables and the swing chair away. Bill up to Dorothea’s. I made out the orders. Dorothea and David called.

 

 

 

Monday, October 4, 1982

 

I washed and hung my clothes outside. A very nice day. No school. Betty, Walt and kids to the fair in the PM. Billie upset about going to the hospital. He hates to give the cattle up. He may go later. Bill looks bad. He don’t get outside at all. Billie washed the windows on the outside, a few of them.

 

 

 

Tuesday, October 5, 1982 BOILED DINNER

 

A very nice day. We have had a good week so far for the Fryeburg Fair. I made a apple pie. Cooked a boiled dinner, first for the season. Bill took me to town then he went to Norway. He was bushed when he got back. Had to get rested up. He went down to get Fern. She was up for boiled dinner. Billie mowed lawns. Betty and Walt to Portland. Betty had her teeth worked on. We had a very good boiled dinner. Had Fern up. She enjoyed the dinner very much.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment