The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, June 8, 2022

August 14 - 17, 1982 Poppa's Home

 

Saturday, August 14, 1982 Bill came home

 

A nice sunny day. I got up early, done my work. Colored my hair, got all things done before noon. Betty went to get Bill, they came home about noon. Bill is kind of weak and tired. Zak went too. Billie took it easy today. Esther went home from Fern’s today about noon. Kim to work tonight. Carmen and Kim mowed their lawns. Carmen to a barbecue in late PM. On the cool side this evening.

 

 

 

Sunday, August 15, 1982

 

Real nice day. I didn’t get up till 7:30 and I have been behind all day. Kathy and Nona Smith called. Esther, Susan and Vince called, they brought Verna’s pictures up of the wedding. They are very nice. Tom and Charlene called. Betty and Walt in evening. In evening Dorothea, Fern and I up to Susan’s to say goodbye to Esther. Brud called in PM. Fern been busy today. Zak called.

 


 

 

 

 

Monday, August 16, 1982 HOT, ES LEFT

 

This is been a very nice day and very hot. I done up my work and did the washing. We picked corn. Billie picked the blueberries. Well Esther left today for Florida. Bill kind of tired, not too good. Billie, Zak and I went to get blueberries today. I got them all picked over. Fern still some dizzy. Kim quite tired today. She don’t look too good.

 

 

 

Tuesday, August 17, 1982 Kim school shopping, Zak

 

A very nice day, it was very hot. I did a wash. I ironed, done up the regular work. I made a blueberry pie. Bill went to see Dr. Marcia’s office for checkup. His cold is still keeping him down. Billie killed chickens yesterday. We fixed Heidi. Fern a dite better. Betty, Walt and Zak to Portland and done Zak school shopping. Had supper down there. Also as guest Joy and Cindy, a surprise. Also Kimberly and Debbie and Gwen went school shopping by themselves. Debbie drove.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment