The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, June 17, 2022

September 17 - 19, 1982 Zak's Birthday Party

 

Friday, September 17, 1982

 

A nice day. I washed kitchen curtains. Made some cookies and a cake. Billie still doing up the fall work. I went down to Betty’s a little while. We wrapped his gifts. He had a boy up tonight for his birthday. They went down and had pizza and to the movies.

 

 

 

Saturday, September 18, 1982

 

It was sunny most all day then it got cloudy then about suppertime it cleared and a nice sunset tonight. I done up the work, went to town. Came home and did a dite of cooking, washed floors, took bath. Zak had company today. This PM he and Billie took the fence down. Billie busy all day. Bill about the same. David called.

 

 

 

Sunday, September 19, 1982 Zak’s Party

 

A very nice day. It was sunny, on the cool side. I done up my work, got ready and Milan and Betty came about 9:30. We had coffee, talked etc. David called too. After a little while Milan and Betty went down to Betty and Walt’s. Then I went down. Betty was still in bed, didn’t feel very well. The Kim and I began to get things ready to make the sandwiches. Then Betty got to going on them. Walt got Fern. We had a nice Italian sandwich lunch then Zak opened his gifts. Then had ice cream bars and cake made by Dorothea. It was beautiful. Afterwards we shelled Betty’s bake beans.

 







 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment