The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, June 3, 2022

July 25 - 28, 1982

Sunday, July 25, 1982 goat gone

 

Well I didn’t get up till seven. I got the breakfast, David was here. It was quite late. We picked some string beans. I got them on to cook. I read the B news or started to. Esther and Vince called. Visited for about an hour. Billie called at Fern’s. Barry Richardson finished the barn upstairs today. A lazy day. Not too good a day for hay either. Today David’s goat was worse so they had the vet, and she was put to sleep. They felt so bad.

 

 

 

Monday, July 26, 1982 DAVID’S HAY

 

A beautiful day. I did a wash, hung clothes outside. They dried very good. They mowed David’s hay today. A very nice day for her. We called at Betty’s, we walked over back, out back of the barn where they plan to build the new tyup. I went up to see the hay. Betty and Dawn up to the Lake and trimmed out the bushes. Kim didn’t get home until 4 AM from babysitting.

 

 

 

Tuesday, July 27, 1982 David’s hay in, picked raspberries

 

This has been a nice day, sunny all day, late in PM it got cloudy. They baled and raked David’s hay. They are getting it in tonight or late this PM. He has an awful lot of it. Billie and I picked rest of the peas today. Butch tractor broke down so they borrowed Billie’s. David’s mother came to visit at Dorothea and David’s today. Carmen’s friends from over on the road came over tonight. He is helping them hay.

 

 

 

Wednesday, July 28, 1982 raining

 

This has been a rainy day. I done up regular work. I worked at the desk. Carmen came home early. I went down to Betty’s. She was working up in her gallery. It will be nice when it is all done. She is pleased with it. Carmen out on her first dinner date.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment