The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, June 1, 2022

July 18 - 21, 1982 Daddy's Birthday

 

Sunday, July 18, 1982 HOT AND HUMID

 

Well I didn’t get up very early. I done up regular work. We had peas for supper. We went up to Dorothea’s. Billie picked berries. Kids called.

 

 

 

Monday, July 19, 1982 Hot

 

Well I got up and got my washing done early. Billie busy all day doing different things. Betty, Billie, kids, dogs and I all went up to the cottage. Bill and Betty putting the screens on. What a big improvement. Kids went swimming. We had a big shower, thundering and lightning. When we got home it hadn’t rained a drop here.

 

 

 

Tuesday, July 20, 1982 Walt’s 54th birthday, made cookies, rain

 

Well what a day this has been. It rained all day. Betty and kids all up to the camp and made preparations for Walt’s birthday. It was nice and cozy. A nice fire going in the camp and warm. They all enjoyed it very much. I did my ironing and a few other jobs. Dorothea and Esther, Vince and Chris went to Scarborough but they didn’t buy much.

 






 

 

 

 

Wednesday, July 21, 1982 Milan 63 years, mowed hay

 

A nice day, beautiful. I swept etc. Betty took us to town because she has got to go to South Portland with Kim tomorrow. When we came home she went down and got Fern and brought her up for the day. Kim and Zak picked a lot of peas. Also Billie and I picked peas and string beans. I did not get to see all my programs today. Billie mowed rest of Walt’s hay. I hope it doesn’t rain. Betty took Fern and I up to the cottage, it is so nice up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment