The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, June 24, 2022

October 14 - 17, 1982

Thursday, October 14, 1982

 

Well it was cloudy and foggy. It cleared away. We went to town then I came home and finished cleaning the bedroom and ironed the curtains and the bedrooms and got them up. Billie busy all day.

 

 

 

Friday, October 15, 1982

 

Clear with fair weather clouds. I was very busy. I cleaned the kitchen. It took all day. I moved the stove and refrigerator and cleaned all around them. I did some washing. Billie and Betty moving feed bunks, grain boxes etc. Bill took a walk.

 

 

 

Saturday, October 16, 1982

 

A quite nice day. A lot of clouds around but not solid. Mostly sunny all day. I done my regular work, took a bath. Read the papers. Bill watched the game. Billie out and in. He hauled his grain and getting things done up and ready to go to the hospital. All of his falls work done up. All the harrowing done. Plants, raspberries trimmed. The strawberries covered was sawdust, old flowers cleaned up and hauled off. All tools, tractors etc. cleaned up and put away. Calf stall ready etc. etc. Kim had a big day. She went to the football game at Kennebunk, saw Tyler then she had a birthday party for Gwen, Debbie, Paula, Annette. Betty and Walt came up and paid for the beef. Dorothea called also.

 

 

 

Sunday, October 17, 1982

 

A quite nice day. I done up the work. Then I read the papers. Billie worked in the tie up and also did other fall chores. Betty and Walt came up in evening, they paid Billie for the beef. Betty and Walt worked on their barn. It has been cold and windy today. Bill watched the game. No more till Tuesday night.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment