The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, June 7, 2022

August 10 - 13, 1982

Tuesday, August 10, 1982 September 22 Billie’s appointment, Carmen on a date, Kim up for supper tonight

 

Well, when we got up it was cloudy and rain. Then it cleared. Nice and sunny and quite humid in late PM it was more cloudy. We, Zak too, picked beans, cukes and raspberries. Betty came up, she brought the chair up and painted it. Later on this fall she is going to strip it. I ironed and got the beans and greens ready for supper. Carmen called to get a blouse, she is going out for supper. Billie has an appointment for September 22. Dorothea called to see Bill. He was in better spirits, they took test and his trouble is pinpointed to the small intestines. Now they are going to check that out.

 

 

 

Wednesday, August 11, 1982 Bill feeling much better

 

Well a quite nice day. I done ironing, Zak made the beds. I done regular work then Zak and I picked the beans. Billie took Esther to town. Dorothea down to see Bill with joy and girls. He was in better spirits. They are going to give the dye test today. They are not letting him come home till they discover his problem. We called at Fern’s in evening. Down to see Bill tonight, he is still having tests and x-rays. He is in good spirits. Betty and I went to Esther’s house today and for supper. Billie and Zak raked and got the hay in.

 

 

Thursday, August 12, 1982

 

Betty and kids all gone to dentist in Mechanic Falls. I done up the work. We picked garden things. I didn’t get to see programs till 3 PM. Went to town very late. Carmen rollerskating with Bob tonight.

 

 

 

Friday, August 13, 1982

 

A fair day. I did a wash. I done up regular work, made molasses cookies. Watched soaps, picked beans and berries. After supper Carmen, Kim, Betty and I down to see Bill. He is coming home tomorrow. It rained by showers tonight.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment