The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, June 12, 2022

August 30 - September 2, 1982

 

Monday, August 30, 1982

 

A very nice sunny. I did a very big wash. Also did the ironing. Carmen Kim down town and over to Norway. Did some shopping. Billie busy all day. Bill is about the same. He didn’t do too much, he don’t feel up to it. He mowed the lawns today. I made cookies and tarts for Carmen to take back to school.

 

 

 

Tuesday, August 31, 1982 Carmen back to school

 

Well it started out cloudy but it cleared and was a nice sunny, kind of on the humid, day. Very nice. Well Betty, Kimmy, Zak and I left with Carmen to take her back to school. It was a very nice trip and so pretty up there on the campus. She was glad to get back as they have an apartment of their own. Very nice. We got home about 5:30. We left about 9:30. Kim stayed up with us last night also Tara. Billie trimmed lawns.

 


 

 

Wednesday, September 1, 1982

 

We picked the beans. Kim here and she helped. I had help getting them shelled. Susan, Chris and Monica was here, they helped. I got them all canned. Billie cleaned up the garden.

 

 

 

Thursday, September 2, 1982

 

When we got up this morning it was cloudy and raining. It cleared off and it became so hot and humid. I done up the work. Zak and I made the beds. Then we went to town with Betty and also Delores. Weren’t gone too long then when we came home I was so busy. I defrosted refrigerator. I did a wash, made cookies etc. etc. When I came home Bill was in the house, cold, all the doors and windows shut. He took a shower ,went outside and found it was hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment