The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, June 29, 2022

October 31 - November 3, 1982

 

Sunday, October 31, 1982 REAL TIME AGAIN

 

I didn’t get up till about seven. It sure seems good to be on the natural time again. It gives you plenty of time to get your work done. David, Betty and Walt called and had coffee and donuts. Kim was here. Zak came home about noon.

 

 

 

Monday, November 1, 1982

 

A mixed weather day cloudy, a dite of rain than some sun. I done my washing. Made a coconut pie. Then I went down to Betty’s for a while. I cleaned her house and then cleaned her dining room. It looks very good. Bill pretty good since he got the blood. Billie doing quite well. He walks every day. Kim went on a field trip today. I wrote to Carmen. Zak up after school.

 

 

 

Tuesday, November 2, 1982 ANOTHER ELECTION DAY

 

A big turnout for the November elections. We went early and had to wait in line to get to the booths. It was a mostly cloudy day. I came home, did a dite of wash. I also worked at the desk and made out bills. Kim over to Memorial Hospital at Norway and had elastic stockings fitted to her. Her legs are a sight to be seen, they are swollen so much. I hope this will help. Billie is better in his leg, still lame but at times not so painful. Bill is a dite better since he got the blood a week ago today.

 

 

 

Wednesday, November 3, 1982 $159 plus $363 equals $522

 

Well a cloudy miserable day. I done up my work and ironed a few things that I went down to Betty’s. I helped her with her kitchen so she could get it all done. It looks very nice. Billie raked a few leaves up to David’s and down to Fern’s and up to see Howard Millett. Bill didn’t do anything. I think he would go nuts sitting all day. Betty has her house all done at last. Kimmy’s legs are bad tonight, she had to babysit.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment