The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, June 23, 2022

October 10 - 13, 1982

Sunday, October 10, 1982

 

A very nice pretty day. I done a dite of washing. Billie came in and wanted to know if I wanted to take a ride with him, also Fern. We went way up to Errol, New Hampshire and back down Route 16 along the Androscoggin River to Gorham, New Hampshire then down through Gilead, Shelburne to Bethel Maine, home. It was a beautiful trip. Clear, sunny and the color of the leaves was beautiful. Fern enjoyed the ride very much.

 

 

 

Monday, October 11, 1982 ZAK GOT THE FIRST EGG TODAY

 

A very nice sunny day. I did the washing. I did a good size ironing. I washed some windows. It is such nice sunny days now when the sun shines. The leaves are very very pretty. Billie did the harrowing here and at Walt’s. Also called at Fern’s and done other odd jobs here. Getting the falls work done before he goes to the hospital. Betty and Walt and Zak done some work in the barn and got there garden cleaned out. Kim called this PM.

 

 

 

Tuesday, October 12, 1982

 

A nice sunny day. I started my cleaning. I got the bedroom closets and bureaus draws done. Billie working cleaning up around the house. The old dead plants etc. Bill to the doctors. He is all right now. Blood count etc. so Bill says. Kim called a few minutes. Betty to the dentist. Walt to the dentist.

 

 

 

Wednesday, October 13, 1982

 

A miserable day, a dite of sun late in PM. I cleaned the two bedrooms and watched the soaps in PM. Billie hauled sawdust for the strawberry plants. Bill about the same. Betty up tonight. Walt sent up the check to pay for the tractor. Kim has a busy weekend coming up.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment