The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, June 26, 2022

October 21 - 23, 1982 A BIG SURPRISE!

Thursday, October 21, 1982 FIRST EGG, Carmen came home unexpectedly tonight

 

This is been a very nice day. I done up the work, got ready, went to town with Dorothea. I came home and I finished the washing. Then I went down to Betty’s. I helped her finished the bathroom, cleaning in the den. Now she is all done to her living room. I came home and got supper for Bill and Billie. Then I got ready to go out for supper. Dorothea, Betty, Kim, Zak and I took Fern out for supper. It was very nice and Fern enjoyed it very much. She also got a lot of cards and gifts. We got home about 9:30 and Kim’s feet was very swollen and bad. Betty had to go after her about one. A Big SURPRISE after we got home, Carmen came. We was so pleased to see her but the time will go so quick. Got our first egg.

 


 

 

Friday, October 22, 1982 Homecoming weekend

 

A very nice day, sunny. All day on the coolish side. I have been busy all day. I made a lemon meringue pie and chocolate chip cookies. Called at Betty’s a little while to see the barn. Carmen didn’t get up till 3 PM. She was completely tuckered out. She has been working hard on test for the last three weeks. Today this is homecoming weekend. Kim up babysitting then Carmen and Zak picked her and her kids and all went to the bonfire and the skit show etc. Also some of Carmen’s friends went with her. Kim’s legs still swollen. It seems so good to have Carmen around. She was here for supper.

 

 

 

Saturday, October 23, 1982

 

It was some cloudy when we got up but it cleared and it was a beautiful day except cold. I done up my work, got it done early and took my bath and then I did the ironing and all done before noon. Billie raked and cleaned up more leaves. Betty’s family got wood in today. Kim went to the parade and then the football game. Billie didn’t do anything today. Billie working like mad to get all the last-minute things done before he leaves tomorrow.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment