The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, June 19, 2022

September 24 - 27, 1982

 

Friday, September 24, 1982

 

First good day we have had since last Sunday. It seems so good. Got up early, we got ready to go up to the camp for a cookout breakfast. It was very nice and they all enjoyed it very much. The food was good. Milan, Betty, Fern, Dorothea, David, Betty, Walt came from work, Bill, Billie and me. Had ham, bacon, eggs, pan fries, toast, coffee, donuts and orange juice. We came home about 11 AM we came down by Merritt Kimball’s farm and the Monk place. I came home, cleaned the coffee pot, washed greens, Swiss chard, made a chocolate pie filling. Tonight we had some good fresh hamburger, it was very good. Betty called, she brought me a kettle and old old town report. Soaps were very exciting, no more till Monday.

 



 

 

 

 

Saturday, September 25, 1982 got the meat

 

A nice sunny mild day. I done up work, changed beds, swept, dusted, made two squash pies, bread and rolls. Billie got the meat home. In PM Susan and kids called. I took a bath, also Tom and Charlene called. I took bath then in PM a little later I began to prepare supper. We had red kidney beans and white pea beans. Supper with good brown bread, rolls, cukes, tomatoes, cold meat and coffee and squash pie. Last night Betty and Milan were here and Betty, Walt, Zak Fern, Dorothea, David, Bill, Billie and I. Kim to the ballgame and then she had to work.

 

 

 

Sunday, September 26, 1982

 

A fair day, foggy when we got up. It wasn’t real sunny, kind of haze over the sun. I done up the regular work. Kim came up for breakfast. We signed for TV Guide. Then she and I talked. I showed her some old things I had. Bill worked out in the strawberry bed for a couple hours or so. Billie and Zak worked on the shrubbery cleaning it up and trimming it etc. I washed up my kitchen floor. Milan and Betty left for home early this morning.

 

 

 

Monday, September 27, 1982 Hens

 

A miserable day, cloudy and rain. I done my regular work and washing. Billie and I down to Betty’s then we killed her chickens or hens. Then she and Billie got the hen house cleaned out and they got the pullets in. Very nice looking bunch of pullets too. Zak took care of them all summer. He did a good job.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment