The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, June 15, 2022

September 11 - 13, 1982

Saturday, September 11, 1982 VERY HOT, KIM

 

Another very very hot day. I done regular work. Made a squash pie, swept, dusted, washed floors etc. Kim called for a little while. She is so tired all the time. She went to work but didn’t stay very long. The lady she worked for didn’t have to go so she came home early. And went to the movies with TYLER. I am very pleased for her. Zak up for supper. Dorothea called and brought a bag of nice potatoes. He got 8 bushels today. Billie got most of his fencing done now. Betty and Walt worked in their gardens. Then up to camp for supper.

 

 

 

Sunday, September 12, 1982

 

A very nice and hot sunny day. I got up about 7:30, done my regular work. Then wrote letters etc. David called in a.m., Dorothea called in evening. Brought us some potatoes they raised, they are dandies. Betty and Zak brought some nice tomatoes and cukes too. Kim came up a little while.

 

 

 

Monday, September 13, 1982

 

When we got up it was foggy. I done the work. David called. I did my wash, dried them in the dryer. Then I went down to Betty’s to talk and see about Zak’s birthday. But Jeff came and he stayed for such a long while we didn’t have time. I came home and done a few jobs then got supper started and watched TV soaps.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment