The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, June 25, 2022

October18 - 20, 1982 Nanny and Poppa's 52nd Anniversary

 

Monday, October 18, 1982 Our 52nd wedding anniversary, Kim to MMC

 

I got up early, done up the regular work. Then I got the washing to going. Then I began cleaning the sitting room. I was busy all day, but I got it done. Bill gone all forenoon. He was here in PM. I got a steak supper. Billie to Norway and got his tires put on truck for the winter. He is getting so nervous about his upcoming appointment at the Maine Medical Center for the operation. I’m quite concerned. Also today Kim went to the Maine Medical Center for a checkup on her legs. They swell awfully. It is something to worry about. I will be glad when they find out what the problem is. Tonight Dorothea, Betty and family came with cards and money for the 52nd anniversary. We had crackers, cheese, coffee etc. Also Susan and kids came and gave me a pretty card.

 

 

Tuesday, October 19, 1982

 

I did my ironing. Then I cleaned the breezeway. Now my fall cleaning is all done. Kim had to go to the doctors again today. They claim it is her veins that is causing the swelling. The circulation is bad and it is not passing back and forth enough so it is causing her legs to swell so bad. Dorothea and Betty to the dentist and had their teeth worked on.

 

 

 

Wednesday, October 20, 1982 Permanent

 

I done up my regular work. Then I got ready and went to Barbara McDaniel’s and got my permanent. She did a good job. It looks very good. I came home, done a few odd and end jobs then I went down and helped Betty to do a dite of cleaning.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment