The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, June 6, 2022

August 6 - 9, 1982 Poppa to MMC

 

Thursday, August 6, 1982

 

A nice day. I washed, hung the clothes outside. Billie and Esther went after the blueberries. I worked on them this evening. Bill not very good.

 

 

 

Saturday, August 7, 1982 Blueberries

A very nice day. I done up the Saturday work, made bread, picked over rest of the blueberries. Fern up today for the day. She enjoyed it very much. Kim worked. Betty and Walt out for the evening for their anniversary. Carmen up to camp for the night.

 

 

 

Sunday, August 8, 1982 Bill to MMC in Portland

 

I didn’t get up until 7:30 AM. Got the breakfast, done up the work. David called. Also Betty and Walt. Bill told David he was leaking blood again and he was going to go to the hospital. So Betty and  Walt, Dorothea talked to him about going to the hospital in Portland. So he did. Dorothea, Betty and I went in with him. I hope they will be able to find out what’s causing it. Barry Richardson did Esther’s doorstep. Kim worked tonight.

 

 

 

Monday, August 9, 1982 Zak up for tonight

 

Well, what a miserable day. It rained so awful hard. I defrosted refrigerator. I did a big wash. Betty called, we went to Casco. Betty got her glasses. Then we went to North Windham. I got my new curtains for kitchen windows from winter. Carmen didn’t work because of the rain. So she and Billie went to see about the red tractor repairing. They went to Sabattus. Dorothea went to see Bill, was kind of down in the dumps but quite good.

 


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment