The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, June 13, 2022

September 3 - 6, 1982

 

Friday, September 3, 1982 Bill’s check 363 Althea’s 159 equals $522

 

I did the regular work and I did an ironing then I worked at the desk. Got bill’s ready to go etc. Kim called a minute, she got her bangs cut. Betty and Zak to Portland.

 

 

 

Saturday, September 4, 1982

 

A very nice sunny day, on the cool side, a dite windy. I done up the housework, made a squash pie, bread, washed floors, changed beds. David called. I took a bath, read the papers etc. Kim working tonight. Betty got a call from Carmen. She is sending Walt some papers to sign. I wrote Carmen a letter. Billie worked on the fence down in the pasture. Bill watched ballgame’s in PM.

 

 

 

Sunday, September 5, 1982

 

A nice sunny day. I got my work done up then I got things ready. Made a cake. Billie brought Fern up and she and Bill and I up to the camp. Bill got the fire going. About three the rest came. Walt cooked hamburgers and Betty hot dogs. What a good feed. Dorothea and Dave came later. Kim had to work. Carmen at school.

 

 

 

Monday, September 6, 1982 Labor Day

 

A very nice sunny day, on the mild side. I done the wash, made a pie and for supper we cooked chicken over the outdoor grill. This has been a holiday. Billie worked down in the woods. Bill down to farm. I watched soaps.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment