The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, June 11, 2022

August 26 - 29, 1982 Luncheon in the Heritage Room

 

Thursday August 26, 1982

 

A beautiful day. I done up the regular work. Then I went out and we picked a third of a row of string beans, shell beans. Then I went to town and after I got home I got Bill’s lunch then I went to work on the beans. I got them done at about 11 PM. I got supper in the meantime and cleaned up from that. Bill didn’t do much but don’t feel tip top, I am afraid. I called at Betty’s a little while.

 

 

 

Friday, August 27, 1982

 

I did a wash. Also worked on the beans. We froze many boxes string beans, shell beans. This is Carmen’s last day at work. We had her up for a baked ham supper. It was very late when she got home. I waited and ate with her. Bill and Billie ate. Also today went down to Betty’s for most of the day. Thena and Fern too, we visited up in the heritage room. Looked all the things over and pictures. It was very interesting and Thena and Fern enjoyed it a lot.

 



 

 

 

 

Saturday, August 28, 1982 cold

 

I done up the regular work. I baked beans, made rolls and bread etc. It was a nice day except on the coolish side, windy. Mike Boutilier’s niece got killed today by a 14-year-old boy. It was very bad thing to happen. Zak has a real haircut. He looks so nice. I am so pleased.

 

 

 

Sunday, August 29, 1982 cold, cloudy and windy

 

A cold cloudy windy day there was some sunshine. Anyway Billie picked some corn and we got out steaks and had a steak and corn roast for Carmen. Hortons, Fern and us. Walt was sick and didn’t come. It was so cold and windy. After we got done eating then the sun came out and it was nice out there. Well it was nice and they all enjoyed it. Carmen loved it all.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment