The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, January 24, 2022

March 31 - April 3, 1981 Dorothea Hurt Her Foot

Tuesday, March 31, 1981

 

I did some cooking, lemon meringue pie, chocolate layer cake and a cinnamon roll. Carmen was up for supper. I had baked ham, lima beans, baked potato. She liked it very much. Billie cleaning up outside. Bill took the truck home, it looks very nice.

 

 

 

Wednesday, April 1, 1981

 

We are having an awful spring weatherwise, cloudy and showery most every day. It cleared late in PM and it was very windy. I went to town with Dorothea. Susan and Delores too. Then I came home, went down to Betty’s. We started her shed chamber.

 

 

 

Thursday, April 2, 1981 very windy, JERSEY cow bought, STEER

 

Mostly a cloudy day and rain showers until about 4 PM when it cleared. I done up my work, went down to Betty’s. We finished her shed chamber. I came home, got supper. Keith called. Butch came. Billie bought a Durham steer off him. It is a nice one. I hope he don’t get cold. Today Beverly Pendexter called, he sold Billie a very nice young Jersey cow. He traded this cow out here for it. Heidi’s pills are all gone.

 

 

 

Friday, April 3, 1981 DOROTHEA HURT HER FOOT IN A FALL

 

I washed windows and worked at my desk all day. Betty, Dorothea and Kim went to New Hampshire today shopping. Dorothea fell today and sprained her foot very bad. We called on her in evening. Kim stayed up there and helped her to get her supper. Her foot is swollen a lot. This has been a quite nice sunny and mild day.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment