The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, January 12, 2022

February 18 -21, 1981 HOT winter weather!

Wednesday, February 18, 1981 Joy’s 43rd birthday, 70 to 80

 

Very mild. It has been a very nice sunny hot day. It is very uncomfortable and unseasonable. I cleaned up the house and done regular work. Billie got word from Clyde Rowe about a cow. He went over to see it. Not what he wanted so they went all around over in that territory. Only found one he wanted. But didn’t think the man will sell it. Milan and Betty came about noon and then they left about 2:30 to go to Portland for the night and to stay for the funeral tomorrow then they will be back. Carmen called. Betty and kids cleaned up their house.

 

 

 

Thursday, February 19, 1981

 

A partly cloudy day. I done up my wash then I went to town with Betty and Delores. Came home, done some odd jobs, watched TV in PM. Milan and Betty didn’t come back tonight. Sue Libby’s (Betty’s sister) funeral today. Kimmy up to Dorothea’s staying tonight. Dorothea is fixing her skirt for her. Carmen having a slumber party tonight.

 

 

 

Friday, February 20, 1981

 

A cloudy rainy day. I done my cooking early and washed. David called this morning. Bill home today.

 

 

 

Saturday, February 21, 1981 Carmen asthma, cloudy and rain warm temps

 

Well another one of those warm cloudy days. I have been busy doing work in a.m. Kimmy came up for breakfast. She and I did the work then she started another puzzle. We got quite a lot done before she had to go home. Laurie and Cindy called in evening.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment