The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, January 13, 2022

February 22 - 25, 1981

Sunday, February 22, 1981

 

We are having a lot of cloudy rainy weather now very mild 50 to 65°. Snow is all gone now. I worked on the puzzle, got a lot done. It is a quite easy one to do. Kim called, Dorothea called. Bill and Billie didn’t do much. Carmen and Laurie called to see Zenya. Laurie back to school this PM, went with Natasha.

 

 

 

Sunday, February 23, 1981 school began

 

Well it rained in a.m. then cloudy with the sun shining in the PM for a while. I did my washing. Made a pudding. School began this morning, only 2 more terms.

 

 

 

Tuesday, February 24, 1981

 

This is been a very heavy rainy day. It rained very hard all day. I done up my regular work then a wash of Betty’s. Billie gone most of the day. Bill worked on Dorothea’s table today. I finished the puzzle today. There is some flooding in the big rivers, quite bad in the Rumford area. Billie been raking, it looks very neat and clean in the yard.

 

 

 

Wednesday, February 25, 1981 kids home at 12 from school

 

A very heavy rain all day and then some snow came to about 2 inches or so. A very bad week weatherwise. Schools closed at 11:30. I did a ironing. A few other odd jobs. We watched TV in PM. Dorothea called after supper. Their car has gone to pieces.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment