The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, January 4, 2022

January 17 - 20, 1981 President Reagan, Iran Hostages

 

Saturday, January 17, 1981 mild, got 7 eggs

 

A quite nice day. I was busy all day. Did regular work and cooked, cleaned up some. Carmen came up for lunch. Billie gone most of the day. Bill home all day, didn’t leave the house at all. I started in on the puzzle today. It snowed lightly last night and cleared today.

 

 

 

Sunday, January 18, 1981

 

A nice day, not very cold. I done regular work. Worked on the puzzle. Betty and girls up to see Mrs. Kilgore and took her dog up. Walt and Zak hauled the rubbish.

 

 

 

Monday, January 19, 1981

 

A very nice day. I did a big wash. A very nice sunny and mild day. Billie washed his truck. Bill fishing. Betty and Walt to the Dr. Walt’s problem not bad enough for operation, needs medication. It’s a problem with the passage from stomach to the bowels. Today they expected the hostages but didn’t make it out of their today. Expected to be tomorrow. We HOPE. I wrote Brud and Verna.

 

 

 

Tuesday, January 20, 1981 PRESIDENT REAGAN, HOSTAGES, PERM

 

A very nice day. I got up early, got my breakfast, shampooed my hair, got my pot roast to going then I went early to get my permanent. Today Pres. Reagan was inaugurated. Also this eventful day, the hostages in Iran was released. I got home at about 12 noon, watched some of the inaugural events. Got Bill’s lunch, washed dishes, got my vegetables into pot roast, made dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment