The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, January 15, 2022

March 2 -5, 1981

Monday, March 2, 1981

 

It has been mostly cloudy today, some sun. I did the washing. Done up the housework, watched programs. I cooked a chicken for supper. Billie raked up the lawn some more. Bill up to Dorothea’s and then over to Ilan’s most of the afternoon. Ilan was working on his car. He watched shows in PM. The March winds are blowing most of the time. The ground is all bare. It isn’t right. Got my vacuum back. I called at Betty’s this a.m.

 

 

 

Wednesday, March 3, 1981 $305.30 $134.40 equals $439.70

 

A nice sunny day. I done work, ironed, made a macaroni and cheese for supper. Bill called at Dorothea’s. Billie down to Betty’s, he cleaned out the hens and got them some clean bedding. I called on Fern for a while this morning. Dorothea and David are going to get $930 back on their income tax. Carmen and Kim went to school with the car this morning.

 

 

 

Wednesday, March 4, 1981

 

A beautiful day. I done up work. Defrosted refrigerator. Washed windows, went to town. Came home, got lunch, made a banana pudding for supper. Man came and fixed washer. Bill worked on the boat. Billie down and cleaned Fern’s yard. Carmen called at suppertime. Billie hauled some sawdust for Carmen.

 

 

 

Thursday, March 5, 1981

 

A very nice pretty day. It was colder, only in the teens when we got up. It got up in the 30s during the day. A real nice day. I done work up, made some filled cookies and did a wash. Billie down to Fern’s and done some work. Billie worked on the boat. Carmen called at suppertime a minute.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment