The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, January 1, 2022

January 5 - 8, 1981

Monday, January 5, 1981 10 below, SCHOOL STARTS AGAIN

 

A beautiful day. Very cold. The sun warmed it up some. We have had a very cold winter so far. I hope it comes now then spring and warm days come at their usual time. I done my washing today.

 

 

 

Tuesday, January 6, 1981 3 eggs

 

A much warmer day, temperatures up into the high teens and 20s. It seems good to have it warmer. I done regular work which I didn’t get done until about 11 or 11:30. David called this morning. I made a pudding and in PM I worked on scraps. I did the ironing.

 

 

 

Wednesday, January 7, 1981 mild temps, 22 above early

 

It was snowing when we got up. They called off the schools in most places. In late forenoon, it cleared off and it was a very nice sunny mild day. Carmen came up for breakfast. I worked on scraps and done regular work.

 

 

 

Thursday, January 8, 1981 very nice mild day, Hearing Aid

 

A very nice mild day. I got my work done up early. Billie got up early. He went over to Oxford Hills High School for an interview for a janitor job. Dorothea took Neka to Norway to the vets, she left him over there for tests, x-rays etc. Dorothea took us, Delores, Susan, Betty and me to town today. Got home about noon. I done up rest of the work from lunch etc. Then I watched afternoon programs. A lady from Bell Tone Hearing Aids came to fit Bill to hearing aid.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment