The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, January 22, 2022

March 28 - 30, 1981 Chicken Pox and President Shot (at)

 

Saturday, March 28, 1981

 

A very nice and mild and sunny day. Most of the snow went. I made 2 kinds of cookies, rolls and the beans. David called. Walt sick all day. Bill worked on the truck all day. Billie down country with Butch. Carmen called. Bill and I up to Dorothea’s after supper. She is filling out an application for a job.

 

 

 

Sunday, March 29, 1981 HOT, ZAK CHICKENPOX

 

A real very nice hot day, temps up in the high 60s and above. I done up my regular work. Bill and I called at Betty and Walt’s. We called to see Zak. He is sure broken out. I worked at my desk. Carmen called, Kim called. Walt came up to get the truck. Charlene called, Joy called to get milk. Laurie gone back to college. Bill worked on the truck. Billie had the cows out today, doors all open until into the evening. Very mild and hot. A very nice day.

 



 

 

 

 

Monday, March 30, 1981 PRESIDENT SHOT AT, also 2 policemen and Press Secretary

 

A cloudy dreary day. I did my washing and ironing, made a cake. It was punk. I had sour cream so I thought I’d bake it but it wasn’t as nice as I thought it might be. As I was watching my programs is PM a news bulletin came on. Pres. Reagan had been shot at. Also the President’s Press Secretary, a city policeman and one secret serviceman. It was awful, it all came over TV. They got the assassin a (blank ) Hinckley from Evergreen Colorado. They all lived, Mr. Jim Brady is in serious condition. Also the policeman and Secret Service agent is in serious condition. Nothing else on TV all PM and evening.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment