The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, January 30, 2022

April 22 - 24, 1981

Wednesday, April 22, 1981 25 – 28°

 

Clear, cold and windy. Cold. I did my closet and radiator. I did Billie’s bureau draws and radiator. I made a pot roast with supper. It was very good. I made custard. Carmen called and Kim. Betty and Kim cleaned Betty’s dining room and utility room. Billie got tractor harrow ready to use.

 

Dintz

Cody

 

 

Thursday, April 23, 1981

 

Well another miserable day. I done up my regular work. Got ready. Dorothea, Delores and I went to town. Some sun in late PM. Betty and Kim to Portland. Kim to the orthodontist. She bought her a new dress also Betty did a lot of shopping. Betty has got her cleaning all done to her kitchen and it looks very good. Such a pretty home. She done a very good job cleaning. And she done it all alone except for what Kim helped in the living room and dining room. Also Fern and I helped her to clean dishes. I done Billie’s closet.

 

 

 

Friday, April 24, 1981

 

Well another miserable day. It seems that is all we have. I got up this morning, got the regular work done. Got ready and went to Portland to do Carmen’s trip to Scotland and graduation shopping, also Bill got his clothes. Betty, Dorothea, Carmen and her guest Lisa Osgood, Zak and I. Had real good luck and got everything. Came home and had nice Italian sandwiches we got at Amato’s on the way home. Carmen had a good time, also Lisa. Carmen enjoyed all the new things she got. One thing she got was a evening gown for her dance. Junior and senior prom at the Fox Den in New Hampshire. Dorothea and Dave have company, his mother and friend.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment