The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

February 14 - 17, 1981 Valentine's Day



 

 

Saturday, February 14, 1981

 

I cleaned up rest of the house, made bread and rolls. Carmen, Kim and Zak came up and brought up some Valentine cards and a Valentine gift. They are very thoughtful good kids. Also a nice Valentines box of chocolates from Billie. I put the puzzle away today. Tom gave Bill 3 very nice jackets. They are very nice and fit Bill to a T.

 

 

 

Sunday, February 15, 1981 cow went

 

A very nice mild sunny day. I got up early to start my dinner. I had a roast pork dinner. It was for Betty’s birthday. I had Betty’s family, Fern and Betty’s friends Tom Martin and Charlene. All had a good time. Men folks watched TV. Carmen and Kim came up and helped me with the dinner, setting the table etc. They are very smart girls. One is just as smart as the other. Very nice and respectable girls and Zak is a very special person to me. Dorothea and Dave came in PM. Today the beautiful red and white Durham cow went. Sold her to Butch.

 

 

 

Monday, February 16, 1981

 

I did a big wash, also done some ironing. Betty and Walt gone to the MVM in North Conway. Walt got Betty’s birthday gifts. Bill took Carmen, Kim and Zak fishing and skating up to Stearns Pond. Today Kim and Zak skated on the lake. Billie out and in today.

 

 

 

Tuesday, February 17, 1981 VERY MILD 45 to 63

 

Some clouds and sun. I done up regular work, washed, made a custard and chocolate cake with a boiled frosting and had Fern up for supper. We had an old-fashioned supper of fried salt pork, fried eggs, boiled potatoes, onions sliced up in vinegar and Johnny cake. Custard, chocolate cake. In PM we looked at the albums. I like to look at them. Bill fishing all day. Billie out and in. I didn’t see all of my shows in PM. A very unseasonable day. High temps. Ground is nearly all bare. Betty, Carmen and Zak all went horseback riding. Also Kathy and Cindy went with them.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment