The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, January 20, 2022

March 21 - 24, 1981 Billie's Feed!

Saturday, March 21, 1981

 

Well a mixed day, some sun and some clear. I was very busy all day doing up the work, did a dite of cooking. Snow on the ground when I got up. It melted some. It was too cloudy and cold to go very much. Zak watched, also Carmen a little while, his shows all morning. He went home late in PM. David called to see the cow.

 

 

 

Sunday, March 22, 1981 Billie 50

 

A quite nice day. Sunny and very warm. I done up my work. Dorothea and David called. We talked. She took the table home. Bill got her cupboard done so she can take it over to be stripped. One Fern gave her, it is over 200 years old. Condition isn’t very good. I made a chiffon cake for Billie’s birthday. After I finished my work Billie got Fern. She was here rest of the day and for a steak supper. Billie’s feed. After supper the Horton family and Dorothea came. Billie got a lot of cards, money and gifts. We had ice cream and cake.

 

 

 

Monday, March 23, 1981

 

A quite nice day after the cloudy moved out. I was busy all day. I did a big washing. Made a custard. Bill worked on Saltman’s boat. Billie and Dorothea took Heidi over to the doctors. She has a bad place on her underside. She has got to go on a diet. I was afraid she was going to be much worse. This sore could lead to a cancer the Dr. said. Cow is doing very well. Very good cream on the milk.

 

 

 

Tuesday, March 24, 1981

I didn’t do much today, regular work. I did the ironing. Watched soaps in PM. Dorothea and Betty called in evening. Bill worked on his car. Billie done some things out to the barn, putting up a partition etc.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment