The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, January 6, 2022

January 25 - 28, 1981

 

Sunday, January 25, 1981

 

A real nice day. I done up my regular work. Fern came up about noon and visited for the afternoon, then had supper. I had it early so she could get home to watch her ballgame. Billie went with Butch Gorman to get some cattle. Kim up a little while today.

 

 

 

Monday, January 26, 1981 Carlton Warren, William Foster, James Emerson

 

A partly sunny and cloudy day. I done my washing, fixed my 2 dresses. Bill fishing with Ilan. Carmen went fishing with Lisa Osgood. Billie here most all day. He cleaned up the cellar. Today 3 at Bridgton’s middle aged men died. Cark, Bill and Jim. I am very sorry, they had just gotten retired. Should’ve had at least another 10 or 15 years.

 

 

 

Tuesday, January 27, 1981 HOSTAGES

 

Today the hostages had a gathering in West Point New York after spending 2 days with their families. It was a news conference. Then on to a very big welcoming ceremony in Washington DC. Pres. Reagan greeted them at the White House, a speech and all thousands and thousands of people lined the streets. After that they all went their own ways. I watched all day, so did Billie. Bill went fishing.

 

 

 

Wednesday, January 28, 1981

 

A nice sunny day, very mild 30 to 40° temps. I done up my work and got ready to go to town. Billie was going to take me and instead I went down to Betty’s. I wrapped Carmen’s gift (birthday). Betty made spaghetti and meatballs. Then she took me to town. Warren’s Market is closed tomorrow because of Cark’s funeral. I’m so sorry about Cark. Also the other 2 men Bill Foster and Jim Emerson. Bill up fishing. Billie gone all day. I was here alone and Heidi which I like. I watched TV and worked on the puzzle.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment