The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, January 25, 2022

April 4 - 7, 1981

Saturday, April 4, 1981 Carmen got a trout

 

Another cloudy dreary day. It showered some. I been busy all day. I made a cake for Dorothea and one for Betty, also rolls for them and myself. I cleaned up the house. Washed floors, dusted etc. etc. Billie up helping David to do his fencing. Carmen and Bill went fishing up to Sweden. Then she went down to Rodgers Brook and got a very nice big trout. Zak in and out today. Betty, Zak, Carmen and Kim raked their lawns. Walt out doing soil testing all day. Dorothea is suffering with her foot today. Quite warm temps.

 

 

 

Sunday, April 5, 1981 very mild

 

It has rained by showers all day, quite hard at times. I done up regular work. Carmen called. Walt hauled the rubbish. Billie and kids went fishing. Zak called. Billie down to Fern’s. I worked at the desk today. In evening I went down to the funeral parlor to see Stanley Roger Staley. I talked with his wife.

 

 

 

Monday, April 6, 1981

 

Mostly cloudy all day. I did my washing and ironing. Dorothea’s foot still swollen and painful, but if she keeps off it, it does quite well. Bill up and fixed the pump for her. Betty started her cleaning, bureau draws and closets. Billie hauled the picnic tables down to Betty’s and ours up from the shed.

 

 

 

Tuesday, April 7, 1981

 

This is the most beautiful day we have had for a long time, not a cloud all day. The wind blowed in the forenoon a lot. I went up to Dorothea’s and I called at Betty’s. I wrapped Kimmy’s gifts for her. She cleaned her bedroom closets and draws. Billie doing some fencing. Heidi is much better since she lost her weight. Zak went on his bike today, first time this season.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment