The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, January 5, 2022

January 21 - 24, 1981

 

Wednesday, January 21, 1981

 

A nice day. The hostages got into Germany, the Air Force hospital at Wiesbaden base. Pres. Carter went there to meet them, Muskie and Mondale. Very interesting. These things have been on TV most of the day. Everyone is so pleased they are free. They will come home early next week.

 

 

 

Thursday, January 22, 1981 HEARING AID

 

Kind of a cloudy day. I done up my work, went to town with Betty. Came home, did a few jobs and worked on puzzle. Bill got his hearing aid today.

 

 

 

Friday, January 23, 1981

 

A beautiful day. I made a custard pie for supper. It was a very good pie. I done some cleaning, washed windows etc. Bill up fishing all day. Carmen’s class put a supper on at the school. I worked on puzzle in PM, watched the soaps.

 

 

 

Saturday, January 24, 1981

 

Kind of a cloudy day. I was busy all day. In a.m. I did my housework, took a bath. Carmen and Zak came up, they helped to work on the puzzle. Betty came up, she brought up a Christmas decoration. It is very pretty, she made it herself. Bill fished all day. Billie puttering around, he got 7 eggs.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment