The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, November 30, 2020

November 25 - 28, 1976 Thanksgiving!

Thursday, November 25, 1976 a quite nice day 

Another Thanksgiving. Horton family and Yates family were guests. For dinner we had: Turkey, stuffing, gravy, sweet potato, mashed potato, turnip, shell beans, onions, cranberry sauce, olives, relish, salad, hot rolls, dark rolls, celery, lemon sponge, date filled, squash pies, Indian pudding, creampuffs, coffee and chocolate milk. Lloyd got along quite well and he got out to the barn. They went home before dark. The Horton stayed till after supper. 

 

 

Friday, November 26, 1976 Stormy, Sleety 

Betty and the girls gone down to MSSPA. Walt gone to work. Bill didn’t do much, in and out. Roaks back down in the woods cutting. Zak up here for the day and tonight. I didn’t do too much today. Betty and the girls got home about 10 in the evening.

 

 

 Saturday, November 27, 1976 nice and mild 

Showery in a.m. I did some washing. It cleared off. I called at Betty’s a little while to see the things she got in Portland yesterday. Zak was here all a.m. He watched programs all a.m. He went home about 1 o’clock. This is been a very nice mild and sunny day. I done up my work and a big wash. Betty and I were going to Norway, but Betty had company, and couldn’t so Carmen and I cleaned the cars, vacuumed and windows washed. I made biscuits for supper, made a cake. Linda and family up to Betty’s for supper. 

 

 

 Sunday, November 28, 1976 fair in a.m. but it clouded up 

 It was very nice and sunny when we got up. It clouded up. In p.m. I went down to the lower lot with Betty, Walt and kids. Gabriel went too. He is so funny. Also Freya and Heidi, a good walk. When we got back David, Dorothea and Billie were down in the pasture where Walt’s pasture is cleared up. Dorothea and Dave came up to dig the grave for King. She is very sick. Betty, Dorothea and I went up to the lot in Sweden on Stearns Pond. I made two turkey pies, for Betty and our supper. Very good. Billie down to see Chet tonight.

Freya

No comments:

Post a Comment