The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, November 15, 2020

October 3 - 6, 1976 Heidi

Siblings Ray, Sandra and Walt

Spouses Pat, Ralph and Betty




Lynn and Beth slept in my room

Raf slept in Zak's  room

Sunday, October 3, 1976 Carmen got two pullet eggs, very mild, nice sunny day

 

Today I washed again. Clothes dried good. Bill and Billie got the hen house fixed and pullets in. Billie was so pleased to get them in and the yard cleaned up and taken care of. Bill helped and that was good. Billie left at 1:30 to go to Chet’s. The Morrells came and brought out Chet’s household furnishings. A good price. Betty and Walt’s company, Walt’s sister and family and his brother and wife left for home about 3 PM. They all had a very good time. Zak up here in p.m. Betty and girls down to MSSPCA until very late. Bill and I took a ride. Billie didn’t get home from Chet til quite late.

 

 

 

Monday, October 4, 1976 DOG HEIDI

 

Today we got a German Shepherd dog. It is the one Susan used to have. Betty had taken it to the Animal Refuge League yesterday. So we was talking about what a nice dog she was so we decided to go to get her on the condition I get rid of my cats, which I plan to do because of them throwing up as soon as they eat. Two nice cats otherwise. I will miss them very much.

 

 

 

Tuesday, October 5, 1976 Heidi operated on, cats gone

 

A beautiful day, A real nice beautiful day. LEAVES are very brilliant and bright in the fall colors. I got my regular work done early. We, Betty and I, left about nine to take Heidi to the vets for her operation. We did a dite of grocery shopping. Today we had the two cats put to sleep. They had a problem, couldn’t keep their food down. I like the old critters very much. I know we will like our new dog too.

 

 

 

Wednesday, October 6, 1976 dog came home

 

I done up my regular work, made a batch of molasses cookies, a squash and huckleberry pies. Got ready and left about 11:30 for Norway to get the dog. She was so bewildered after the past four days, she didn’t know what to expect. She was lame, sore and not feeling very good because of the operation, shots etc. She was in some pain now and then. She soon will be okay. Billie home from work with a stomach problem. He got straightened out and back to work in an hour or so.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment