The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, November 14, 2020

September 29 - October 2, 1976 Jimmy Carter

Wednesday, September 29, 1976

 

A very nice sunny day. I done up my regular work and did a dite of wash. Went down to Fern’s and to help Esther get her storm windows cleaned and on. Then Esther and I cleaned the house up. Esther got the dinner and then she washed floors. Went to the drugstore to get medicine for Fern. The Dr. came, said she had inner ear problem. He said he could give her something to help her. It won’t cure it. She is tired and exhausted too. Fern got up a little while late this p.m. but still not good and dizzy.

 

 

 

Thursday, September 30, 1976

 

A quite nice day. In early a.m. Bill took me to town. I came home and worked at my desk all day. In evening or after supper I went down to Betty’s to babysit. She and Walt went to Portland early for the day. In late p.m. they saw Mr. Jimmy Carter, vice president nominee. They shook hands with him. Fern still not good.






 

 

 

 

 

 

Friday, October 1, 1976 No School

 

A nice day. I went down to Betty’s all day. We cleaned her house up and got ready for her company. No school, teacher convention.

 

 

 

Saturday, October 2, 1976 $92.80 my SS, $213 B SS, killed hens

 

On the mostly cloudy side today, quite good in p.m. I did some washing. I done my regular work. Then we killed the hens, five of them. Billie up to Chet’s at about 1 o’clock. Dudley was there and he took care of Chet’s business affairs, will etc. He has mentioned Billie in his will. Billie didn’t get back until quite late. Then we killed rest of the hens. I went down to Cark’s. Kimmy watch TV all morning. She is excited about the company coming. They didn’t get there until about 6:30.

 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment