The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, November 8, 2020

September 7 - 9, 1976 School Begins

 

Tuesday, September 7, 1976 A Nice Day

 

It has been a very nice day. Carmen got up early this morning. I did too. I have been very busy all day. Washed. Betty, Zak, Carmen and Dawn went to Norway to get a few things for Carmen for school. Bill over to Norway and all around looking for steel roofing, finally at Denmark he found some. Kimmy up here today all day, she is weak and tires very easily. She was here for supper. I fixed her dress and trimmed her hair. She looked very nice when she went home. Dawn is fixing Carmen’s hair. Betty bought some bureaus today, Dawn bought some furniture too. Bill and I to town in p.m., paid all the bills.

 

 

 

Wednesday, September 8, 1976 a beautiful day, SCHOOL BEGAN

 

I done my regular work, washed etc. Got ready, at about 1 PM. Bill, Billie and I went to Stanford to see about getting Bill’s pills. We was going to have dinner out but that Leady’s restaurant had closed. Bill got sick too. Betty and Dawn moved Betty’s new bureaus into her bedroom. Today school started again. Carmen in 8th grade, Kimberly in 5th grade, Walter IV in 2nd grade. They were glad to get back. Kim was able this morning to begin school. She had a pretty good day. Kind of tired when she got home. She came through the operation all okay, still weak.

 










 

 

 

 

Thursday, September 9, 1976 a beautiful day

 

I done my regular work. Got ready and went to Portland to shop for Zak’s birthday with Betty. We went to Child World and the Mall. We saw Jeff in the mall and had a talk with him. I feel so sorry for him. We got some things for Zak’s Christmas too. We called at Dorothea’s. In p.m. she came up to Bridgton, she and David, and bought some new furniture, kitchen table, chairs and a hutch. She was so pleased to stay at Betty’s for supper. Esther over here in evening. She looks so bad, thin. Zak up here before supper.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment