The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, November 29, 2020

November 21 - 24, 1976

Sunday, November 21, 1976 another cold windy day

 

I done up my regular work, did my ironing and got my Christmas orders ready to go. Kim up in late p.m., also Betty called. Bill and Billie working in the barn all day. Carmen and some friends went horseback riding all day.

 

Dingle going for a ride on Ebony


 

 

 

 

Monday, November 22, 1976 cold and windy, sent orders

 

It was a nice clear sunny day, but cold and windy. I washed. Done regular work, went to town twice. Made out my schedule for the Thanksgiving week. I sent my Sears and Spencer orders today. Bill worked on the windows out in the barn. Keith worked in the woods at Walt’s today. He finished the job today. It looks very nice.

 

 

 

Tuesday, November 23, 1976

 

I made dark bread, creampuffs. Betty and I went up to Shaw’s shopping and around. She is looking for a jacket for Zak.

 

 

 

Wednesday, November 24, 1976 a nice day, ZAK got his GLASSES

 

I did one million things getting ready for Thanksgiving. Cooked, ironed, washed, cleaned the house, washed windows, cleaned silverware and dishes etc. etc. Betty to the eye doctors to get Zak’s glasses. Keith called in late p.m. Kim and Carmen up and helped me after supper get the vegetables ready.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment