The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, November 18, 2020

October 14 - 17, 1976 Pa's Birthday

Thursday, October 14, 1976 PA’S BIRTHDAY

 

I done up the regular work, down to Betty’s early for a little while. Came home and got ready, went to town. Early after lunch I began cleaning my room, Billie’s room and bathroom. This is been a cold, cloudy and windy day. Betty and Dawn to Conway shopping. Carmen and Esther here in evening.

 



 

 

 




Flicka at 5 months old

 

Friday, October 15, 1976 Hair Set

 

Clear in early a.m. but it got cloudy in p.m. We had showers. I did some washing. I washed and waxed my floors. Went to town in a.m. and up to see the cottage lot in p.m. Kim to a slumber party at Martha Coomb’s tonight. Carmen up here for supper.

 

 

 

Saturday, October 16, 1976 CHET’S AUCTION

 

It dawned bright and sunny, later it got windy and cloudy. Betty and I up to Chet’s auction. We didn’t stay too long, it got so cold. When we got home Paul Gallinari had begun working on digging the ditch for the waterpipe to Walt’s. A nice sunny day, but cold. I didn’t do much after I got home because of the water. Billie busy all day and nervous and upset. He has so much to do, gee. Bill worked on ditch all day.

 

 

 

Sunday, October 17, 1976

 

A nice sunny morning, it was mild. I did my wash, it got a little hazy but the clothes dried good. Bill worked all day on the ditch. Walt helped some. Billie did some jobs then in late p.m. he went up to Chet’s. Chet came down to the auction. Zak up here in p.m. and for supper.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment