The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, November 2, 2020

August 13 - 15, 1976 Going Away Party For Joy and Girls

Thursday, August 12, 1976

 

It was a nice day, on the hot side. I got up, done up my work. Took a bath and at 9:30 I was ready and waiting. Dorothea and David came at about 9:45 and we went up to many towns in New Hampshire and went to antique dealers, barn and garage sales etc. We had lunch in a very nice little restaurant. Then on up to the Castle in the Clouds. What a beautiful place that was. Way up on the side of a mountain. The building was made out of rocks taken from the mountain. Much of the wood, glass and other materials came from foreign countries. It was very nice. On our way home we stopped at more barn sales etc. Stopped in Conway New Hampshire and we had a most delicious supper. Had a very nice time. I enjoyed it very much. The colt got hurt tonight again by Ebony.

 

 

 

Friday, August 13, 1976

 

A quite nice day, on the hot side. Bill and I to town grocery shopping. I came home, done my wash, cleaned up the house. Betty and kids gone away.

 

 

 

Saturday, August 14, 1976

 

It has been cloudy and some sun. We had showers. I done my regular work. Made bread and baked some beans which I hadn’t for a long time. Dorothea and Dave came in p.m. Were here for supper. Zak here all day. Betty, with rest of the members of the coffee group, had a garage sale today. They done very well. Bill worked at camp today.

 

 

 

Sunday, August 15, 1976 cloudy, a bad shower

 

It has been a cloudy dreary day. I done my regular work. Carmen up, in a.m. Kim came up. Betty and Walt gone out to barn sales. Billie up to Chet’s. Today we had bad showers. Dorothea up for a little while. She went over to camp to say goodbye to Joy. Betty and I went over, it was awful weather.

 

 

Chris, Monica, Zak and Cindy


Nanny, Poppa and Billie

Debby, Esther and Joy


Joy, Susan and Cliff

Lloyd and Bob

Fern


Pat and Bob

 

No comments:

Post a Comment