The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, November 11, 2020

September 17 - 20, 1976

 

Friday, September 17, 1976 Bill worked at camp

 

On the cloudy side. I done my regular work, picked over some things. Kay Fleck Maynard up to Betty’s all day, also two other classmates. They had a good time talking over school days. Late in p.m. Betty took me to town which made it very late for her at supper. Next time I’ll have Bill go or not go at all.

 

 

 

Saturday, September 18, 1976

 

Cloudy and dreary most of the day. A dite of sun in p.m., now and then. Quite nice. I washed, I done regular work, made bread. Kimmy up today. Dorothea and David came up for a little while. Dawn and grandchildren up to Betty’s. In evening we called at Fern and Lloyd’s. Lloyd fell early this morning. Bill and Billie got him up. Dorothea and Dave up today, we gave them some vegetables. They are going on a vacation this week for three days.

 

 

 

Sunday, September 19, 1976 partly cloudy

 

I took my bath, done regular work, changed the beds, did the washing. It cleared off about mid-forenoon. I also got them all in and ironed. Betty, Walt and Zak gone for the day.

 

 

 

Monday, September 20, 1976 on the hot side, Zak home sick, Kim okay

 

I done up my regular work. Betty called. Zak was home sick so I went down there while Betty was away. I done her house work and all her washing and what few things I had. Bill worked at camp in a.m. In p.m. he went to Casco to get the boards for his toolshed. Billie’s working conditions are much better now where he works. Not so hazardous. They now have a general manager and a bigger crew. The doctors said Kim is doing just fine. Zak had a sore throat and a little fever, better in p.m. Betty bought a two seated couch.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment