The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, November 23, 2020

October 29 - 31, 1976 Esther and Cliff leave for FL

Friday, October 29, 1976 New TV

 

A quite nice day. I done my work, washed, ironed, done my grocery shopping. Down to Betty’s a little while. Betty gone to Portland to meet Walt. They bought a brand-new TV, a chair, and ate out. I took Kim, Zak and Pa’s supper down to them. Carmen to the school dance and ate out. They finished cutting the hay.

 

 

 

Saturday, October 30, 1976

 

Sunny when we got up this morning. I rushed around, cooked a pie for the Democratic Town Committee. Also one for myself. Then I went down to Betty’s, we washed all the storm windows and the outside of the windows. Cleaned her barn, both porches. Bill and Billie hauled the manure out up here then went down and hauled Walt’s. Also helped to put away the picnic table, swing couches etc. Esther called to say goodbye. She looks bad and the way she looked I wonder how she will be this winter. I wish she was better, she only weighs 90 pounds. Kim and Zak to the Halloween party at the ME church.

 

 

 

Sunday, October 31, 1976 ESTHER AND CLIFF LEFT FOR FLORIDA

 

Esther and Cliff left today for Florida for the winter. I’m quite concerned about Esther. She is so thin and don’t feel too well I’m afraid. It rained hard today. I done up my regular work. Dorothea and David called, was very glad to see them. They seemed very good. Billie up to Chet’s. Betty called, she took imprint for my foot to get supports. Susan and family moved into Esther’s house today. Tonight it cleared off about seven. A lot of trick-or-treaters kids called. Amongst them Carmen, Kim and Zak. Betty, Joy and I took them to town and around. Betty over to Joy and Pat’s quite late visiting. 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment