The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, November 27, 2020

November 13 - 16, 1976

Saturday, November 13, 1976 Flu Shots, Cold

 

This is been a nice sunny day, but very cold. I done my regular work, washed floors, made bread and rolls. We went down and got the flu shot. Bill, Billie and me. Also Fern, Delores and Pat went. Zak up here all day. Betty took Kim to Dawn’s and then took us all down to get flu shot. Then she went down and got her flu shot.

 

 

 

Sunday, November 14, 1976 cold, Chet

 

I done my regular work. I did a big wash. I went down to Betty’s, we took a walk down where Walt was looking for Christmas trees. Mrs. Swett took Chet into the hospital today. She called here. Billie down to see him, also he called at Fern and Lloyd’s. Betty, Carmen and Zak down to Dawn’s to get Kimmy.

 

Flicka - 6 months old


 

 

 

 

Monday, November 15, 1976 PERMANENT, A DITE WARMER

 

It was a dite warmer. I went down to Betty’s to see Kim’s new dress she made. Then I helped Betty some and then I came home and did some washing and washed all my windows outside. I went over to June’s and get a permanent. It looks good. Keith came and began down to Walt’s.

 

 

 

Tuesday, November 16, 1976 ZAK TO EYE DOCTOR

 

I got up early, done up my work. Betty, Zak and I left at a few minutes after 7 AM. We went down through Sebago to South Portland then we met Walt. He directed us to the area where Dr. Murphy’s eye doctors office was. Got home in time for Zak to go to school. Betty and I went down to Betty’s and wrapped Christmas gifts. Bill took Betty’s car down and got it fixed.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment