The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, July 30, 2020

September 6 - 9, 1975 Well went dry

Saturday, September 6, 1975 Barn Sale, lots of customers






 

A rainy cloudy day. I did a dite of cooking and a lot of odds and end jobs. Went to town. Billie worked at Jone’s in a.m. Zak here all day. He done the vacuuming, made rolls and done a lot of things. Billie went with Lawrence.

 

 

 

Sunday, September 7, 1975 WELL WENT DRY

 

A beautiful day. I washed, canned tomatoes, washed kitchen floor. Down to Betty’s. They only had two customers today. Dorothea up and brought some things for the sale. The well went dry today. Bill helped Walt. Billie down to the cemetery with Chet. Lawrence here in PM. Susan and kids at Esther’s all day. She had her car up for sale.

 

 

 

Monday, September 8, 1975

 

Cloudy, some sun. I done a lot of shopping at Shaw’s in Conway New Hampshire. Betty, Dawn and I went to Shaw’s also a few other places. Got home at about 3:30 or four.

 

 

 

Tuesday, September 9, 1975 chimney

 

A partly cloudy and sunny day. I was down to Betty’s most of the day. They tore down the old chimney today. They will start the new one tomorrow. I done washing, also ironing. Kennard and Robert called. Kennard looks very very bad. His time is about up I’d say. Robert is okay, he looks very good. Betty, Zak and I called at Fern and Lloyd’s in evening. Es and Cliff called too. Bill got a pump and has pumped out the spring getting it ready to put into the house.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment