The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, July 4, 2020

May 31 - June 3, 1975 Horse Riding Incident


Saturday, May 31, 1975

A miserable day. I done regular work. Kimmy up here. I cooked. Milan’s folks came about 8:30 AM for a weeks vacation. Billie went with Lawrence. We ate supper at Betty’s. I took beans, rolls and a cake. Milan and Betty didn’t do much, just talked. Betty S went down to Betty H and they talked and looked everything over, Betty’s photo albums, antiques etc.



Sunday, June 1, 1975

Cloudy and stormy, rain. I got up kind of early and cooked a chicken dinner. Dorothea came up. I done regular work and washed, made a pie.



Monday, June 2, 1975

A most beautiful day. I washed and washed floors and waxed. In p.m. I went to Fryeburg with Bill Walker to the Cemetery. Milan and Betty went to Augusta to see about Milan’s license for his boat. Betty worked all day and done a lot. Kimberly’s school class went to Cape Elizabeth and to the ocean. They had a good time and Kim enjoyed it very much.







Tuesday, June 3, 1975

Clear when we got up, and sunny, but it soon got very cloudy. I washed, hoping it would clear away but no, about 11 it rained hard. Milan took me to town. Esther went with us. Betty to coffee group. Betty Smith over to her sister Alice’s, Sadie and Susan all met at Sadie’s. They had a very good time. Bill worked at Stuart Barnaby’s cottage in a.m., down to Betty’s in p.m. I dried my clothes down there. Weldon’s horse got out this morning, went to the corner. Carmen and Lisa Smart and some other girls rode horseback tonight. Carmen got thrown from the horse. Cat jumped onto horse and hurt it. Zak got run over by the horse. Lloyd had a dizzy spell.

No comments:

Post a Comment