The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, July 18, 2020

July 24 - 27, 1975


Thursday, July 24, 1975

I washed some things. Done a lot of work. No kids here all day. Betty and kids with Dawn over to Joy’s for the day. Bill and Billie mowed the lawns.



Friday, July 25, 1975 cow don’t act too good.

Another very hot day. I went down to Betty’s early and she and I done her upstairs than she had to get ready to go to the dentist. She took Zak. (She has changed dentists and goes to Mechanic Falls.) I done rest of the cleaning of the house. Then I came home, we got ready and went to town shopping. I came home, got supper. Then we went down to Betty’s and helped them move the run and house up for the rabbit. Bill went to dump and mowed Betty’s lawns.



Saturday, July 26, 1975 clear sunny and very nice, no humidity

On the cool side today. I done my regular work. Washed, done my floors. Didn’t do too much. Esther here in p.m. and for supper. The Horton’s company came about 4 PM or so. They had a nice visit. Went up to see the cottage. Ralph didn’t go for. So I don’t know what Walt will do now. Esther and I over to Brud and Verna’s for supper at Carlton’s cottage (at old Christmas Tree inn). A big place.



Sunday, July 27, 1975 cow sick

Cloudy when we got up. It cleared off nice and sunny. I did a big wash. Took it easy rest of the day. Cow seems to be eating but not too good yet. No one here today except the Horton’s a while. Fern Lloyd called here today.

No comments:

Post a Comment