The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, July 23, 2020

August 11- 14, 1975 Joy and Girls to Bermuda to Live


Monday, August 11, 1975 HORSES GOT OUT

Another nice day, hot but not unbearable. I done my regular work, washed out a few things. Betty, kids and I up to North Conway, got a few school things. We done some grocery shopping. Came home, got supper. Betty and I called on Fern. Poor Joy is all upset. I feel so sorry for her. Early this morning, 4:30 AM, the horses got out and went way to the corner. Owen’s family caught them and brought them home.



Tuesday, August 12, 1975

Quite hot today. I did a little washing. Zak up here in a.m. Betty to the coffee group meeting. Carmen and Kim stayed at home and done up the work. In p.m. I picked some beans and other vegetables. Joy called in p.m. to sign the papers for the car etc.



Wednesday, August 13, 1975 JOY AND GIRLS LEFT, BILL GOT HIS NEW CAR

Quite hot. Joy and her four girls left for Bermuda. Betty took them to Portland to get the plane. I went with them. Dorothea went also. Dorothea went home after they left here. Betty, kids and I to McDonald’s for breakfast. Then out to the Maine Mall shopping for school clothes. It was a long hard day at work. I enjoyed it. It was hectic coming home. Carmen and Kim were good all day. Zak was very active. Bill got his new car today from Joy. A 197? Rebel, a branch of the Rambler. Very good car. Jade green and a black vinyl top. Plush seats in very good condition.



Thursday, August 14, 1975 BILLIE OUT OF WORK

A nice day. I done up my work. I went down to Betty’s, we cleaned the kids closets and put away all the new clothes. Worked till noon. Came home, got dinner then in p.m. I picked shell beans. Susan and Esther called and the children. Susan is looking for a place to live. In evening we went down to Lorraine’s for a baby shower for Wanda. Had a good time and she got a lot of nice things. Dorothea came up and called on us after the shower. Tonight Billie is out of work for a long time. Joe didn’t do well in his business.

No comments:

Post a Comment