The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, July 22, 2020

August 8 - 10, 1975


Friday, August 8, 1975

It rained when we got up this morning and rained about all night. About 10 o’clock it cleared and got quite hot. I done my work up. Then we went to a few barn sales in a.m. Came home, ate a bite and Bill went with us and we went to a few more garage and barn sales. Bill went too. He enjoyed it. We got a bike today for Vince. Esther paid for it.



Saturday, August 9, 1975 very nice clear and warm

A beautiful day. Nice and sunny. I done some cooking, bread, rolls, cookies, cake and baked some white beans. At suppertime we went down to Betty’s and all ate together. David came up to the garage, he ate with us and seemed to enjoy it all. We had a good time. They brought Tulip up here tonight. David got some vegetables to take home. Joy and her Uncle Wendell and kids called. It is Blanche’s brother. Laurie is staying with Carmen till they get ready to go.



Sunday, August 10, 1975 Hotter

A very nice and sunny day. I done up my regular work. I washed, cleaned the house up. Billie and I cleaned the kitchen screens. Billie went with Lawrence picking up cattle. Betty called, kids came up for a little while. Betty, Walt and children entertained at a cookout. Their guests were Dawn, Ed, Dawn’s two brothers and their children. They had a good time. I’m glad at last they had someone except the Crooks, Yates and Thomases and Demings. Esther over in evening. Cliff down to Naples to the band concert, he played with the B band.



No comments:

Post a Comment