The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, July 17, 2020

July 20 - 23, 1975


Sunday, July 20, 1975 Walt’s birthday, hot

This is another hot day. Much better than yesterday. I didn’t get up until eight. I changed all the beds, cleaned up the house and did a big wash. Walt got a lot of nice gifts for his birthday



Monday, July 21, 1975 Betty helped Sandy paper

It was a quite nice day. I was down to Betty’s most all forenoon. I picked her some beans and rest of her peas. Zak came up here with me. The girls went swimming. Betty didn’t get home until quite late, Bonnie and Jim are having problems. Jim told her he killed her dog. Fern had a dizzy spell while down to the laundry. Esther and Marguerite got her into the car and then Esther got her home. She went to bed. We called on Fern in evening. She is still not too good. Billie went to the auction with Lawrence today, also delivering cattle etc.



Tuesday, July 22, 1975

A very nice day. Not too hot. Kimmy went home early this morning. I done my regular work. Zak up here all forenoon. Billie went with Lawrence. Bill didn’t do much today. I picked peas, string beans and greens. Bill picked a couple quarts of raspberries. In p.m. down to Betty’s and made a double batch of root beer. Fern and Lloyd up here this evening. Fern is still dizzy. Betty and kids up here in evening too. Betty to her meeting. Bonnie still feels very bad about her dog. I feel so sorry for Bonnie.



Wednesday, July 23, 1975

A good day. I was down to Betty’s. We froze some things. Betty was to here a while. Betty and Carmen to the dentist over to Mechanic Falls. I brought Zak up here. Kimmy stayed at home. Billie doing a lot of odds and end jobs.


No comments:

Post a Comment