The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, July 10, 2020

June 23 - 26, 1975 New Calf


Monday, June 23, 1975 Hot Hot Hot, Root Beer

We sure had a good hot day today. I done my ironing and regular work down to Betty’s. We made a batch of root beer also cleaned the kitchen up, floors, dusted etc. It was so hot I only had a cold supper. Esther here in evening. Also Betty and Walt came and called a little while.



Tuesday, June 24, 1975 HOT, BUDDY LEFT

Another hot day, yet not quite as much humidity as yesterday. I done my regular work, down to Betty’s while she went to her meeting. It has been hot all forenoon but later in this evening it was cooler. Bill didn’t get any painting done because the plumber came to fix that water line on our furnace. Something was broken. He was here from 11 AM to 1:30 or 2 PM. Today Carmen and Kim went to the Lake swimming with Billie when he went back to work. Came home with him. Joy called at Betty’s tonight.



Wednesday, June 25, 1975 cooler, Calf Tulip

Tulip, Carmen and Freya


A very nice day. I done my regular work, washed. Betty and kids called, we went over to Mrs. Edwards. Carmen bought a calf, very tiny. After we got home we washed windows in Betty’s barn. In p.m. Betty, Zak and I all went to Windham, Gray, New Gloucester, Brunswick, Topsham, Lewiston and Auburn looking for tractor. No good luck. Bill finished painting the house, it looks good.



Thursday, June 26, 1975

A nice day. I washed and I ironed. I went down to Betty’s, we went shopping. Kids down swimming, went with Billie when he went to work.


No comments:

Post a Comment